Canada is a litigious country, 1 out of every 100 Canadians starts a civil legal proceeding each year (excluding family law). 3.6 out of every 10,000 Canadians will have a trial each year.
In Ontario before the Superior Court of Justice, 96.4% of civil cases are disposed of prior to trial and 3.6% of all civil proceedings wind up at trial.
- 2,156 trials in 2012.
- 2,445 trials in 2013.
- 2,672 trials in 2014.
- 60% of all trials are personal injury; 45% MVA and 15% slip and fall or other.
- 12% of trials are contract disputes.
- Almost 6% of trials are collection matters.
- Just over 5% of all employment cases started before the Ontario Superior Court end up at trial.
- Just over 4% of trials are construction liens.
- Roughly 3% of trials are real estate related.
- Approximately 3% of trials are economic torts.
- Trial in Small Claims Court is almost 3 times as likely as Superior Court.
Click on the link below for full details on Ontario Superior Court of Justice trial numbers: